Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Maui Reflections

I have decided – I am never going back to Maui. I know, I know, it is a beautiful island with its diverse landscape, breathtaking blue waters and ideal warm temperatures. But you must hear my story! In 1987, Sir asked me to marry him on Waikiki Beach, Oahu! It was such a romantic evening. Then we headed to Maui to continue our trip and spent 2 days in the middle of a typhoon, so we never really got to see Maui! In 1995, I was 4 months pregnant and was heading to Maui with Sir and Daughter 1. I managed to fall in the Dallas airport shattering my elbow, dislocating my elbow and wrist, and causing damage to my shoulder. Instead of a retreat in Maui, I had surgery and physical therapy for 4 months! Now, in 2008, I went sailing, whale watching, body surfing and even biking 27 miles down a volcano. I was having such good luck on Maui! Then it happened. Our last day in Maui, on the road to Hana, at mile marker 11, happily bouncing across a landscape of rocks, smiling and talking, telling Daughter 1 to go faster, I took a nose dive. I fell so quickly and hit so hard, I didn’t know what had happened. I hit my right eyebrow, bounced off the rock, and hit another rock on my cheek bone. My friend pulled me up by my camera bag, turned me over and declared me a disaster – but she was very sweet. Thanks to everyone involved I applied ice on my eye quickly, rested and hiked back to the car to head to the hospital. I still dream about the fall, going through the motions and trying to figure out how it happened. But most of all, I mourn the lost pictures on the Hana Highway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happened to the pictures? Did you smash your camera or are you missing the pictures you couldn't take? That eye is some beauty!

Bill

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! That looks terribly painful. I'm so sorry.

Lisa