Saturday, May 24, 2008

England Adventure #3

I am cold and tired, and I believe Daughter 1 is trying to kill me. I once again risked my life (and hers) to drive to a tiny village pub in the middle of the nowhere with no address. Much to our dismay the pub isn’t open anymore – it is only a shop front. Thank you to Sir, we had a video ipod to watch Pride and Prejudice 1995 and find the exact location of the Inn at Lambton. After a few well staged pictures we headed back to Bakewell for dinner. I have to admit, the drive was picturesque with tiny villages lining the narrow roads. It was the mountain roads with hairpin curves and no railings that had me at my wits end! However, let me tell you about the beginning of our day. After a hardy breakfast we headed out to take pictures around Park Farm, our B&B. We chased sheep and the dogs chased us, so all in all it was a fun morning. Waving goodbye, we headed north to Belton House. Yesterday at Burghley House we toured the home of Lady Catherine in the 2005 Pride and Prejudice movie. Today, Belton House was her home in Pride and Prejudice 1995. The house was beautiful and much more livable than Burghley House. The rooms they used to film were nice but as we watched the ipod (while standing in the house) we realized they didn’t show many views of the inside of the house. Now, the outside of the house was amazing - formal gardens, orangery, church, lake and other parts we didn’t have time to explore even after four hours. We were sad to leave but needed to get on the road to reach our new B&B in Bakewell, Croft Cottages. Today starts the bank holiday and every Tom, Dick and Harry was out on the roads. A few things we have observed so far: First, people talk about the funniest things in pubs. We met a woman who got drunk in her tub and broke a rib! Last night we heard how the cost of petrol was so cheap in America, and just before dinner we paid $100 to fill up the car! Second, the people drive so fast! I mean fast and it doesn’t matter what kind of road they are on: small, narrow, large, multi-laned, they drive faster than the dickens. I have hugged so many curbs and made Daughter 1 scream more time than I can count. It is at the end of day 3 and we are tired, but I am looking forward to another day of adventure.

Note: Due to the lack of internet at our B&B, postings will be spread out the next few days. Continue checking!

No comments: