Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Reflection on Mother's Day





A belated Happy Mother’s Day to all you! I hope you had a great day. As I am typing this, I look up above my desk and see a picture of my mom and me. So many years have passed since this picture was taken; I was young and carefree. I thought my mom was old at the time, but looking at her now, she was young! I think back, did I tell her I loved her? Did I spend the day with her as she wanted or was it as I wanted? I could write a hundred more "Did I" questions. But the most pressing question on my mind is - how did she cope when there were no more kids at home, waiting by the phone for a Happy Mother’s Day call? Change – it is all about change. Change in tradition, change in family, change in expectations. My Mother’s Day this year? Well, it was a change. No breakfast in bed. No kids bursting through the door screaming Happy Mother’s Day. No kids jumping on the bed spilling my breakfast. Yes, it was a change, but the nice conversation over a delicious brunch and going to see the Broadway show, Wicked, proved to be a great day. I even received what I asked for – pastry brushes! I look at my daughters and see how fast they are growing and how quickly I will be the one waiting by the phone for that Mother’s Day call. Like my mother, grandmother and great-grandmother before, I will cope with the change. So for now, I keep taking pictures – just a snapshot in time to remember special times I have with my girls.


Keep a close watch on A Woman On The Move - I am on the move again. I will be heading to England with Daughter 1. I hope to post updates daily.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shel,
I look forward to Wednesdays when I can see an update from you. I related to your post. I loved the picture of you and your girls. You look beautiful!!!

Love you!
Lisa