Saturday, May 31, 2008

Grand Tour #11


We are finally home from a long day of touring Bath. Our feet are tired and we are anxiously awaiting the results of the Britain’s Got Talent finals. Today was Jane Austen madness! I mean MADNESS! We slipped into Bath Abby for a few minutes before our Jane Austen walking tour began. The Abby was about to close for a wedding – we were lucky to sneak in just before. The Abby is so beautiful – even though I have been there before, I never get tired of touring it. We went on the walking tour – heard lots of stories, saw lots of buildings, saw lots of streets and learned lots about Jane Austen. I won’t give details – you would be asleep in ten minutes! We ended the tour at the Jane Austen Center and spent two hours there! First there was lunch. Daughter 1 ordered, of course, Tea with Mr. Darcy and the Jane Austen Blend tea. After lunch we went to listened to an introductory lecture about Jane Austen and then went on a self-guided tour around the center. Shopping was last on the list- we found Daughter 1 another old edition of Pride and Prejudice. We then proceeded on our own walking tour to finish up the rest of the Jane Austen sites – the Royal Crescent, the Circus, many streets where Jane would have been and some of the streets where they filmed both versions of Persuasion. The Fashion Museum was next on our list – we had a great time trying on corsets! We ended the day at Sally Lunn’s, the oldest house in Bath and a bakery for several hundreds years. Now to our hotel – it is wonderful. It is one of six gate houses for the nearby Farleigh Castle. So this mini-castle has been here for a long time. I really wanted to stay here when we lived in England, but the daughters were too young. One more thought for the night - I can’t help but take a stroll down memory lane, thinking of all the people we came to Bath with while we lived here. I have such good memories. But the past two days, I have thought so much about my visit here with my parents and grandfather. My grandfather was 86 and wanted to visit me in England, so my parents brought him over. Bath was one of the destinations we visited during his tour of the United Kingdom. Grandpa returned home and died within a week. He had two passport stamps in his passport – the USA and the United Kingdom. A dream he had his whole life. So here I am with my daughter living out her dream. Enough for tonight – goodnight to all. Mom and Dad – I love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shelly,

Loved your blog.Kelsey would be so jealous, she finished Pride and Predjudice over spring break. I just put her on the plane to Austria on Saturday. Brio will have several concerts in Salzburg, Vienna and the Czech Republic. Today they are touring all the Mozart places.
Have fun!!
Miriam