Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Grand Tour #14

We are so happy that we are at a laundromat! We finally found one in Salisbury – our stop for the night. We don’t have internet access, but will head to a pub or McDonalds where there is internet access! Hurrah for small blessings! We woke up to a beautiful day on the Cobb. We walked the Cobb and then walked a bit around the Marina. It was chilly but no rain. We tore ourselves away because we needed to get a move towards our next stop – Wilton House. Wilton House was used in filming parts of the inside of Mr. Darcy’s home in Pride and Prejudice 2005 - as well as a ballroom scene in Sense and Sensibility 1995. It was a beautiful house, well maintained and furnished. The best part – it comes with a 30-year-old single Earl. The 18th Earl of Pembroke and the 15th Earl of Montgomery. I did meet the head of security - I took his picture and then headed to the car park. Next thing I knew, he was there at my car to have a chat with me. He wanted to make sure I knew he was not the Earl!! I thought it was so funny. We stood out in the rain talking – the majority of the conversation was about the Earl and the fact that Daughter 1 was single. He asked me if I thought Daughter 1 was too young for the Earl – I told him “absolutely not – please arrange a meeting!” We laughed, he agreed and we are still waiting to here from him! It was pouring outside, so very few pictures were taken. Then we headed to Salisbury, ahead of schedule, to visit Mompesson House. It was used in the filming of Sense and Sensibility 1995. The house was tiny compared to what we have been seeing – we were a bit shocked. We figured over an hour in our schedule to tour the house and gardens but in less than thirty minutes we were outside in the rain once again. We walked over the road to Salisbury Cathedral, and when we came out the rain had stopped! Thank goodness! The recent weather has been dreadful but the roads are so much easier to drive on. On our two hour drive today, I spent time reflecting on the different roads in the many parts of the country in which we have traveled (Daughter 1 was watching Jane Austen movies on her ipod). In the Stamford area – I was afraid for my life - people drove so fast. I was dodging cars, sheep and shrubs while driving over 50 mph down tiny roads. In the Peak District, I had to add bikers to the list. The people didn’t drive quite as fast, but the roads were still really narrow most of the time! After we left Stratford the roads have been bigger and only a few people drive really fast so it is much more manageable. The next few days we will be in smaller villages again – we will see how narrow the roads become.

NOTE: the computer died on us and McDonalds did not have outlets – so we are back to the B&B and we will post this in the morning.
P.S. Welcome home Daughter 2!

No comments: