Thursday, June 19, 2008

DC and Loving It




I have been on a whirlwind trip! My week has been spent visiting friends, eating great ethnic food and seeing the sites in our Nation's Capitol. The weather was beautiful, the skies were blue and the clouds were fluffy and white. All of the other thousands of tourists thought the same things! Here is a list of the few places I was able to see-






Capitol Hill, Jefferson Memorial, FDR Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Korean War Veterans Memorial, National Cathradral, Georgetown, Embassy Row, National Archives, U.S. Botanic Gardens, National Museum of the American Indian, World War II Memorial. But there are many other places I saw as I strolled down the Mall!




I was at the National Cathradral when they were having Tim Russert's wake. The people were lined up down the street and around the corner waiting to pay their respects at the quaint church next to the Cathradral. I found the VIP entrance, and watched several celebraties come and go. A beautiful story: Wednesday night Melanie and I saw a double rainbow after a thunderstorm had passed over. At the end of Tim's funeral the song, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" was sung. As the congregation opened the doors to leave the Kennedy Center, they found the double rainbow waiting for them. Needless to say, it was a very moving moment for many people.


All in all it was a great trip. I stayed with three sets of friends in three different areas around D.C. Sir was with me part of the time - he had to go back and forth to work and then spent a day on the Hill meeting with Congressmen. We are on our way to Chicago, still on the move.

No comments: