Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Smash Potatoes

I have been on the move again! I spent a few glorious days in Chicago with Daughter 2 and Sir. As you can see from the picture of my suitcase I have not unpacked yet, and yes, it has been 4 days since I returned. Keep in mind, I returned home just in time to prepare for my 2nd Annual Wine and Cheese Open house for around the world photos. Friends and family stopped by during the Sunday evening gathering and then I had a revolving door of guests on Monday. Thank you to everyone who came by! Watch my website for my new card lines and pictures for sale!! By the way, here is one of my favorite pictures that sold Sunday evening!


Well, I wanted to talk to you about Smash Potatoes. While living in London, Daughter 1 and Daughter 2 became addicted to Smash Potatoes: the British version of instant potatoes. However, Smash Potatoes are different. They were little pellets, when mixed with hot water, exploded into mounds of fluffy potatoes. It was tricky to make sure all the pellets received water equally or else some pellets would not dissolve. I hate to think how many times we ate a few crunchy pellets mixed in with the smooth texture of the “correctly mixed” potatoes. The fun in all this? In the eyes of my children, the fun was gathering around watching Mom pour the hot water and stir like crazy. I am sure the kids heard (not learned) a few choice words when I didn’t stir quickly enough! Upon returning to the States, many containers of Smash Potatoes came with us. When friends visited from England, Smash Potatoes were in their suitcases. Like I said, the kids were addicted.
Why do I talk about this? I found a package of Smash Potatoes in the pantry tonight - a purchase from my trip overseas during the summer. The package still remains intact almost five months after I returned. We are afraid to open them. They have changed. The container is different and most upsetting, the pellets have changed. They are now flakes – just like the instant potatoes you pull off the shelf in the good old USA. Change is hard to accept. We choose to sit and watch the package gather dust rather than take the risk to discover if the flavor and texture remain unchanged. We know the experience of making the potatoes will be different and we just can’t gamble on the rest. My idea – pull out the new package of Smash Potato flakes, open it with wild abandon and go for it. Take the risk and embrace the change. Who knows, maybe Daughter 1 and Daughter 2 will become addicted once again!

No comments: