Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Girls Trip to the British Virgin Islands

I bring to you today the last entry reminiscing about my girls trips. This is my favorite. My mamma always said save the best for last! One week on board a catamaran in the British Virgin Islands, complete with a captain, cook and seven wonderful women! Do I need to say more? Well, I will.



The only choices I had to make for seven glorious days were simple decisions. For instance, what suit should I wear? What time should I get up? Do I want to go snorkeling? Should I go tubing? Hum…should I buy this? I must say it was a dream come true. I have ALWAYS wanted to live aboard a boat. (Just out of college, I almost headed to San Diego to find a job and live on a house boat) Sir gets seasick so a romantic getaway on a catamaran is out of the question. So instead of Sir, my girlfriends helped me to live my dream.



My favorite time? A full day sail to Anegada just so we could eat 3 pound lobsters! The silliest time? Our Gilligan’s Island party during cocktail hour one evening. Our wildest time? Our evening on Jost Van Dyke at the popular bar, Foxy. Sorry that is all I am allowed to say!

Our scariest moment? We were snorkeling in a beautiful cove after lunch on our sail from Anegada to Jost Van Dyke. Most of the ladies headed back to the boat and only a few of us remained to continue on. Around the corner came a large school of tarpin swiftly moving passed us. We were so freaked out! They are big ugly suckers and there were hundreds of them swimming together. We sighed a sigh of relief as they passed, but our anxiety level rose again when they came back at us. You see, we didn’t know what they were and they looked very hungry! The four of us got together and held on for dear life as the tarpin created a close circle around us. Around and around they went. We felt like the tarpin were performing a death dance around us! Once we stopped peeing our swimsuits, we took notice of their movement. They were taking turns leaving the circle to spend a few moments feeding on a school of very tiny fish. When the school of tarpin left and we returned to the boat and we recounted this frightening event to the rest of the group. We described these big ugly monster fish only to have the captain laugh at us. His response was, “they are only tarpin, and they won’t hurt you.” Well, it was scary. We didn’t know they wouldn’t hurt us and I am here to tell you, I am not making up a fish story.

What I won’t ever forget? Watching the sun set on the water every night as I laughed with my girlfriends and we created memories that will last a life time.



Back in September I stated “All I can say is watch for drinking ladies sailing the horizon speaking Spanish and driving convertibles eating Ben and Jerry’s.” I believe I have told you about these ladies! Thanks for joining me on the ride around the world!

No comments: