Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Africa Is Calling Me

I love Africa. The landscape, the people, the adventure. It all started when I saw the movie “Out of Africa” with Robert Redford and Meryl Streep in 1985. Of course, I was already in love with Robert Redford, but fell in love with the movie and with Africa! When I was in grad school I checked the book out of the library, snuggled in my dorm room and begin the overwhelming task of reading the 400 page book. I read the first line, with Meryl Streep’s voice etched in my mind, "I had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Ngong Hills." I started to cry and after getting myself under control, I closed the book and returned it to the library! I knew what was coming and decided getting through grad school was not a time for my romantic heart to take over!


Sydney Pollack created an amazing film that made me yearn to visit Africa. I have visited three times and adored each of my visits. Whether I am riding in an open air truck on safari, watching the Maasai women make their handcrafts, sipping a cocktail watching the sunset on the savannah, hiking through Victoria Falls, taking pictures of school children on the top of Table Mountain, visiting extensive vineyards, or riding in a balloon over the Serengeti, I am always fascinated by Africa. Africa is calling me. . . I guess I need to talk with Sir!




Riding elephants in Botswana



No comments: