Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Happy Birthday Matt!





It has been 27 years since my little brother died, yet it feels like it was yesterday. Matt was 12 ½ when he died - too young. He was a great kid, a sweet and loving soul, my airplane seat partner, sleeping buddy on stormy nights and cuddle bunny with a bowl of popcorn in front of the TV. It was a devastating loss to me and my family. I have the upmost respect for my parents - They carried on. They called on their faith to get them through and they continued to be parents to their three remaining children. Having a 13 year old myself, I just don’t know how they coped! Even after 27 years, my brothers and I still upon occasion have a hard time dealing with the loss. But, it is just the nature of grieving and loss. We recognize special days with calls to one another – the day Matt died, the day of his birth, the day Matt punctured my brothers waterbed with needle nose pliers (sorry Tim, I just couldn't let go of that one). We don’t ignore his memory and we heal through sharing.

Today is Matt’s 40th Birthday! As my oldest brother says “He will be forever young in our minds!” Well he might be forever young to us, but sorry Matt, you still would have been 40 today – so, we decided to celebrate! I baked a cake, we lit the candles and together, Rick, Tim and I, with our families, wished Matt a Happy Birthday and blew out the candles! Mom and Dad, sorry you were not here to celebrate with us. We love you and were thinking about you. Moral of the story: Don’t forget to tell the ones you love, you love them and celebrate everything!

No comments: