Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Inauguration - Day 1

Hello to all from Washington DC! It is cold. So far, it is not very crowded. There is security everywhere. There are hundreds of port-a-potties set up - I will be mad if they ruin my pictures!!!! There are dozens of buses carrying diverse groups of people. We have seen a youth marching band, kids dresses in tuxes and formals, families and groups of retirees. People are pouring in from all parts of our nation and all walks of life but with a common purpose - to celebrate a historic event in our nations history. Regardless of political conviction, it is an exciting time in Washington DC.

We are staying at The Madison Hotel, an old historic hotel home base for the Democratic Governors Association. Therefore, we have our share of limos and security personnel. The service is wonderful. The staff has been very nice. Our room is on the modern side with a big king size bed. I guess Sir won't be sleeping in the bath tub. They brought us a scrape book to fill with our memorabilia we gather over the next 4 days.

We arrived at the hotel at 2:00 and left for our first function at 3:00. The Reception/Party was at a restaurant, Posto, a swank restaurant located on 14th Street. We hob knobed with a few congressmen and saw the Governor of Kansas. We had a name badge on and it was humorous to watch people walk by me, look at my name tag and make the decision if I was an important person and if they should stop and talk with me. To watch their face and thought process was an interesting experience! Many of people stared and no one stopped!!


Sir and I headed out tonight to grab dinner. We went to a great hole-in-the-wall Thai restaurant - get this - the name, Thai Tanic. We were drawn in by the name and were rewarded with a delicious meal! I am tired due to the fact that I have been up since 4:00 am and it is cold out (and I am without a parka) so we headed back to the hotel to cuddle up in bed, watch TV and work on the computer!
I will up-date tomorrow! Have a great evening!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Take care of yourself - don't get sick in that cold!! Love ya, Crystal